Human Busyness vs. God’s
March 6, 2009
“Why that rushing around? Don’t tell me it’s
activity: It’s confusion!” – Jose Escriva
Our calendars, day timers, PDAs, Blackberries, and iPhones are
bursting with meetings, tasks, jobs, programs, events … every
minute is scheduled; every hour is full.
Perhaps it’s time to schedule in a few hours to do some
- How much of my schedule is about my busyness,
and how much is about God’s business?
- How much stress am I experiencing on a daily basis? What
is the source of that stress?
- Do I make time for a Sabbath rest each week? Or do I
keep on going 24/7?
- Do I spend quality time with my family? That is, unrushed,
uncluttered time when I am not multi-tasking?
- How much time do I have for cultivating deep friendships?
- Do I have the freedom for spontaneity in my schedule?
- Do I have time for personal creativity and recreation?
- How am I engaged in using my spiritual gifts to further
- Am I focused on what is urgent, or on what is important?
- Do I have trouble being still and silent because my thoughts
are always whirling to the next thing on my list?
After careful reflection, ask yourself the following:
- Do I
need to make changes in my life? If so, what are they and how will
I go about making them?